blogerud

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Passionate about ... nothing

Crescent Park is located right near Crescent beach in Whiterock BC, right on the ocean. I hadn't been there before until tonight when myself and some other friends piled into the Malibu (I own a large, golden, Chevrolet sedan - you may have noticed others like it around, probably parked at a senior's legion hall, or perhaps near a local lawn bowling club)and headed for the park for a little BBQ action. By the time we got from Abbotsford to Whiterock to pick up Deanna and Baker, and then got to the park it was after 8pm. Needless to say we were all hungry. I think if it wasn't for the pack of .88 cent licorice Psegga brought from Wal-Mart, we would have resorted to cannibalism and eaten Laura. Or Lisa. Whoever was weaker or more easily distracted.

But we ate and frolicked and had a merry time. By the time the sun set, we were just about ready to go. We noticed the park ranger locking up the public washrooms and we decided we should get on our way. We said "hello" to him as we passed by and he said "hello" back. Friendly chap. To our dismay, when we arrived at the parking lot to leave, the gate was locked. And our friendly neighborhood park ranger had motored off in his little speedy golf cart. What was he thinking??? It was almost 11pm and he locked us in, said "hello" and drove away! What kind of black-hearted evil finds joy in locking people into the park and leaving them to fend of the local drunken teenagers?

Luckily Deanna's friend knew where the Ranger lived ... so D and I walked across the park, jumped over the locked fences marked, "No Trespassing - Private Property" and rang the doorbell. He was choked. But we didn't care. We were going home. After arriving back at the gate, the others told us of all the drunk high school students who had been wandering out of the park. Just as they were, a 16ish girl teetered in our direction. She was pretty with brown hair and drunk as a skunk. She had lost her friends. And she had lost her cellphone. She got me to dial it, hoping to hear her Stairway To Heaven ring-tone from wherever it landed in the park. Right. She asked for a ride to her friends and we obliged graciously. Of course we wouldn't let this girl wander home in the dark. We all decided that she was the reason we had gotten locked in the park.

As we drove away we saw more teenagers wandering home barely able to stand up. Tens and twenties of them. I was brought back to my highschool years of hanging out in public parks, being loud, and occasionally getting into some trouble. But at home I was always reminded of what was true, what really mattered. That life is a precious gift from God, and that I was precious to God and to others. I doubt that many of those teenagers have a home like to go to. Too many people are living their lives passionate about nothing.

10 Comments:

Blogger jeremy postal said...

Great post. Sad story.
They are why we are who we are...if that makes sense.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not too long ago I was in Abbotsford and with a friend visted a party, which now a days, party can be translated as 'Drunk Fest'. My friend I was with was heart broken, and so disgusted with the choice her friend whom she wanted to see had made... this girl was drunk for the very fist time, and she couldn't stand up straight, she was kissing almost everyone, and it was truely heart breaking. And people were laughing at this poor girl who made the wrong choice.
The whole acceptance factor, I believe, was probably one of the sources (maybe even just the mere thought of experience could have lead her to that), but nonetheless, it's still sad when, even a few nights ago, I saw a bunch of drunk teens walking around Chilliwack.

This leads to my next thought...
Do you think it is ok for a Christian to work for a liquore store? For me it's really depending on circumstances and the peoples and parties involved, but what do you think?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Steve - glad to see you found your way to my blog! Thanks for visiting brutha.

What kind of circumstances do you think making working at a licensed liquor distributor ok or not ok for a Christian?

I'm still thinking of my response to that question.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you in the world of blog. I am not a blog demon (nicest sense of the word) like Jer, but I do like to get my blog on.

Anyway, it was very nice of you to help out the pretty drunk girl.

Did you pick up all the other drunk kids too?

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve in regards to your question regarding working in a liquor store........each person has to come to a place where they are comfortable with where they work, and what happens where they work.
selling liquor is the same as selling burgers at a fast food joint. not everyone who comes and buys a bottle of wine is gonna get hammered, nor is everyone who buys a big mac gonna die of clogged arteries (well they may -but that is another subject)
for me i would not work in a liquor store or bar ( i hate the smell of booze-it makes me gag)
it is your own convictions that will drive this horse and pony show!

9:15 AM  
Blogger alYne said...

i would first like to point out that there is nothing wrong with driving a large, golden sedan. we are members of an elite club my friend. hi-5 chad.

second, i think it was kind of you to help out that girl. as unfortunate as her state most likely was, people in those circumstances need our help and our love. are they not the hungry we are called to feed? and the strangers we are called to clothe?

it also reminds me of the time Susie and I picked up a young, drunk girl still wearing her bridesmaids dress. her cell phone battery had died and she assured me that, since we had the same phone, i could lend her my battery and she would return it me after we walked her to "her house" and climbed into "her window" and found "her charger". yeah, it was an all around strange evening.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I would say gluttony would be a better comparison than clogged arteries... but ok.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

gluttony woudl be a better comparison I would think... gluttony and drunkness are similar in a sense. but I see what you mean. :P

12:15 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Alyne - there's nothing quite as good as feeling a part of a team. Thanks for the hi-5. Gold is the new black. Or brown. Or whatever is cool right now.

And yes, we would be missing Jesus' heart if we didn't acknowledge the everyday people we see around us and act in His compassion and grace. It's actually sinful not to. I wish I did it more often.

Rachel - good point. Alcohol is definitely not the disease we make it out to be. It gets way too much publicity for only being a symptom of a much deeper problem(s) in people. Why doesn't the issue of insecurity get as much play-time as alcohol? Or how about the issue of teen despair? Or loneliness? Or purposeless-ness? The list probably could go on for quite some time.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts, man. You're one talented guy and we wish you all the best in your ministry!
Amazing!

Have you heard of the Nooma videos by Rob Bell? Your posts remind me of his style. You should check them out. Christian bookstore will have them.

Take care,

Russ & Yanna

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home