blogerud

Friday, July 14, 2006

Rock and roll baby

Being a rock star is great. In case you were wondering what it is like, well, it is fabulous. I know when you look at a rock star like me you probably think, "yeah that's all well and good, but I wouldn't want all the attention and pedestal-pushing - it just seems shallow and tiring". And it can be. And it is. But at the end of the day, you hang up your in-ear monitors and tight black band-T shirts knowing that you wouldn't change a thing.

I just got back from a sweet touring gig. Life on the road isn't easy, but once it gets into your blood, there's no turning back. The road just calls your name.

Yup, Nanoose Bay Pre-teen camp was kicking this year. Those kids couldn't get enough. The screaming, the awe-struck stares, the requests for "I wanna go up, up up" - the glory of it all was beautiful. Though our youth band didn't sign any Bibles this year, we still felt the adulation of the crowds through questions like, "Do you guys do concerts and make lots of money?" "Oh yeah", we answered them. "Oh yeah."

But seriously .... at camp this week the comparison between my own little story of my life and the eternal and all-encompassing story of God stared me in the face. I was reading through a book called "i am not, but I know I AM" by Louie Giglio. Here's a quote:

When you get right down to it, trading in the little story of me is not really all that big of a sacrifice at all. Who wouldn't want to abandon a script you could fit on the pointed end of a pin for a chance to get in on the glorious epic that is so enduring that its screening will require all of eternity ... To die to self is to gain on an unfathomable scale - a daily funeral that is nothing more than the doorway to a life filled with the matchless wonder of all that He is.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey said...

i think your cool chad.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to be a rock star too. Can you teach me? Pleaaaaase.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chad

I just got back from the tour de teen church camp a couple weeks ago too. The kids at camp Imadene request Days of Elijah like the song is camp crack. They also like Waves of Grace and The Happy song. odd.

anyway, i've heard that some of my friends are now your friends. that is neat! rock on brotha.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too cool for school! I want to be a rockstar to, can you teach me pleaaaaaaaase??????

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Chad, no need to be humble or anything. You'd think after awhile you might get made fun of on stage, what with your big head and all!
But seriously, it's cool to remember how small we are and how we're a part of something so much greater. Driving through the mountains or hiking up one always reminds me of that. I'm glad you had a good time at camp:)

11:07 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Hey chubs (I believe you are actually Andrew ...) Thanks for saying hi! I checked out your camp pics ... so funny!!! Too bad about the "incident" by the tree... Camp is too fun. See you around,

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home