blogerud

Monday, July 17, 2006

Chain Wallet?

I had to beg people for money the other day. Strangers. And I was astonished at the response I got.

The story is mostly embarassing to me because it involves my famous forgetfulness and my wallet once again. I lost my wallet at Christmas the day before I was to fly to visit family in Alberta. Big hassle. (And its never fun re-telling over and over the story of your own blunder.) Well, I did it again - sort of.

I left Abbotsford this past weekend in my car to again come and visit family in Alberta. I got a decent start and was making some good time. It was a beautiful drive over the Coquihalla as I drove across the mountains. My plan was to go north through Jasper and on to Edmonton via the Yellowhead highway. A good distance into the trip my stomach dropped and my hands tightened on the wheel. I didn't have my wallet!!!! I left it at home. I couldn't pay for gas. I had no driver's license. No credit card. No bank card. Only a few bucks of cash. It's funny how you can get feelings of anger, despair, and laughter all at the same time. So, I had to turn around and head back to Abbotsford. But I figured I should top up my tank with gas to make sure I didn't run out of gas on the way - I had under half a tank. I spent the last remaining dollars on gas and got on my way again. Still trying to decide whether I should laugh out loud or scream and throw a big rock at a tree, I headed out. Then my stomach dropped again. The toll booth!!!!! I didn't have ten bucks to pay! The screaming option seemed a little bit more attractive at that point. So I pulled in to a rest stop and tourist shop to decide what I should do. As I leaned on my Malibu in my pool of self-loathing over my scatter-brained-ness, the only option was all around me. People. Tourists with money to burn. Welp, I shrugged, better just get to it. There was an older gentleman who was leaning against his car next to mine. I thought in general people would laugh at me and, after hearing my story, chuckle and say, "Okay buddy, here you go. You do need some help!" I approached this man and said, "Hi there." We exchanged pleasantries. I kind of laughed and said, "You know, I could use some help today." He immediately looked away and said, "You're talking to the wrong guy" and kept staring away. He didn't even know what I needed!!!! I was nothing short of stunned. I mumbled something about wondering how he knew he couldn't help me and walked away. Other reactions included very suspicious stares and "If it's money you need, I'm not helping you." A couple gracious people gave me spare change. Until I came to one lady. I asked her for five bucks and told her pieces of my morning's wallet-less adventure. She didn't flinch. She said, "Yeah I'll give you 5 bucks!" and reached into her pocket with a smile. I thanked her and told her she was very kind. She responded by saying, "I believe in karma! What goes around comes around." I smiled and thanked her again.

I don't think it bothered me or hurt that people didn't want to give me money. I can understand that. But what struck a painful blow was when people chose not to hear me, or listen to where I was at. They decided ahead of time that they would not lend a hand to help someone they did not know. That was kind of sad and I hope I will be someone who always listens before deciding if I am able to help someone out or not. There's something life-giving in hearing and empathizing with story. It seems to connect us as humans.

But I am now safely in Alberta with my wallet. Maybe I need to buy a chain-wallet.

9 Comments:

Blogger jeremy postal said...

I would also like to remind the readership of this dear blog that Chad also forgot to take his wallet to Scotland with him last summer!
True story.

One of the last things I said to him was, "Chad, don't forget your wallet!"

Glad your safe at home!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

I think there's less guilt in turning away someone who appears to be in need than hearing where they are at and knowing that they are, in fact, in need. The guilt is not as strong if after hearing your story they still decide that they're not going to help you after all. Maybe some people feel they can live with their "concious" that way. (Hope that made sense)

Don't worry, you won't be like those people.

Glad to hear that you were able to make it to Alberta afterall.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

awww.
that's precious.
i think you should get one of those man purses.

karma eh.


JEFFREY

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad, Chad, Chad...
Your first staff meeting back may be rough on you!
The good news --- Leonard seems to be responding to treatment and some "pruning"!

2:53 PM  
Blogger alYne said...

oh chadley, i have to admit: i love reading your stories. you always make me laugh, in an i'm-glad-i'm-not-the-only-one-out-there-like-that kinda way. you're great chad. :)

(I would also like to add that I too remember Chad forgetting his wallet on our Scotland trip. Something I am still laughing about, at this very moment in fact.)

it's an interesting position to be in, isn't it? at the mercy of complete strangers' generosity and compassion...makes you wanna think twice next time someone approaches you for help, hey? or at least..it should i think.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people don't like to help because they think you're just gonna lie to them. There's a huge lack of distrust in this world all because people are way more focused on themselves than the poeple around them.
If they don't know you, its easier for them to try wripping you off, and they would rather it be that way, than the other way around.
Basically, I just think he thought you were gonna wrip him off.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Alyne- glad I make you feel better about yourself :)

Anonymous - I think you're right, they were suspicious I was going to rip them off. And why wouldn't they think that? I'm a complete stranger. And they might have no accurate concept or care to live like Jesus.

The question for those of us who do is: Am I supposed to be a judge of who I lend a hand to, in the context of Jesus' instructions on feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the imprisoned, etc. Or should I just obey and let the Holy Spirit do His work in people's lives regardless if they take me for a ride or not?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad-I laughed at your situation with your wallet once again-always an adventure, and I cannot believe that you had to beg for money. Last night I once again had my car locked in at Summit-I forgot about that dang curfew-maybe we just will have to live with these ailments for the rest of our lives!!! Hope home is good.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safe.

I agree Chad I think that it is up to the HS. I don't think it matters what the people do with the money or the help we give, that is between them and God. But I know that I don't want the video at the Pearly gates to be of me walking past or not helping and it turning out the be The JC.

I must admit that since moving to Vancouver, I have been more apt to help.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home