blogerud

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Grateful

So it's been a while ... time for a new post.

I've just spent the last week living in a tent. It was given to me by a dear friend and it's pretty sweet. The first few days spent in it were on the coast of Vancouver Island, just a few km from the northernmost tip of the Island and, there's not a lot goin' on up there! Well there's a lot of logging trucks. Aaaaand there are a lot of unbelievably beautiful old-growth trees and magnificent lakes and an amazing sandy beach, kind of like a little Tofino, which is where we put up camp for a few days. Our youth staff at clcc spent a few days along with Jer's dad, Dave Postal, doing a retreat. We drove for 5 hrs and hiked for another hour through the bush and arrived at Raft Cove for our little adventure. It was picturesque. Beach, sky, waves rolling in, rocky cliffs around, and, well, when you get 5 guys alone on a beach in the bush there's not a lot that remains sacred. Clothes become optional, bodily functions are expected to be heard, smelt, discussed and well, lets just say that cameras pop up at "inopportune" times. It makes you glad to be a man. Beards abound and the laughter and mirth overflow. Pure fun.

We invented games on the beach. We created a bocci ball set out of old fishing net buoys. We had contests and even created a little playing field where we saw who could swing and toss the kelp the furthest. I didn't win. I just won a nasty whiplash mark on my leg where the long tail-end of the kelp smacked me as i let it go ... not a coordinated moment. But I don't feel bad because, who the crap throws kelp anyway?

We shared stories. Dave shared his 30+ years of ministry experience with a bunch of young lads and we ate it all up. Wisdom like that which comes from a life given to serving and leading is pure gold.

I came back energized and excited about life. I came back inspired by our Creator who makes such beautiful places for us to enjoy. I came back happy to be living life with such great guys that I love. I'm grateful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like heaven! Well, minus the bodily functions bit...but I guess that's an integral part of male bonding.

1:11 PM  
Blogger jeremy postal said...

Ahhh! Such a good trip....something you don't forget! This is life lived with friends in extrodinary circumstances.....
If any of you are lucky you may even get to see some of the pictures! They're golden!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Chum, that sounds like an awesome place to get in touch with the Creator - made me jealous - almost, you know me and tents ? . . . . Mom

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home