blogerud

Monday, November 27, 2006

Holy discontent Batman!

I'm feeling contented today. There is a white world of blowing snow outside (yes, November in Abbotsford BC is usually a little warmer and wetter this time of year) but I am burrowed inside my apartment with slippers and jogging pants. Aahhh. Life is good.

Contentment is cool because its more a state of mind than circumstances. I could be upset that my car didn't make it up my driveway yesterday and now I have to walk down to get to it today in the cold. I could be inconvenienced that I really can't drive anywhere because of the roads. But contentment chooses to be at rest despite circumstances. It's been said that "godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:6)

This weekend I heard about the concept of "holy discontent". The idea behind it is that there are things that you have been wired to be annoyed by, but in a good way. This idea says that through your experience, there are injustices or needs that stand out especially to you, and bring you to the point of saying, "That's it! I've had enough - I can't handle that anymore - I need to do something!" And these things aren't just felt by you, they are felt by God too. It's the place where your heart and God's heart are "wrecked" for the same issue, people-group, injustice, need, brokenness, etc.

I think my "holy discontent" areas are 1.)unaccepted people who are socially outcast, 2.)young people who don't find Jesus as an anchor for their soul, and 3.)poorly led corporate worship that doesn't allow people to connect spirit-to-Spirit with God.

What's your holy discontent?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Chad
I definitely share your sentiments which is why today I don't feel bad for not going in to school! My holy discontents are somewhat similar to yours. 1)Misrepresentation of God - i.e. God told me this, or the Spirit told me this, but that person spends little time actually INTELLEGENTLY reading the Word of God. 2)when people can't explain anything about God or Christianity without using "spiritual language" 3)social injustice 4)but most of all it is when people use worship as a barometer of their spirituality.
God is concerned with righteousness and justice first...only then does he find what we call worship pleasing
Amos 5:21-24; Isa 1:10-17; Micah 3:5-12

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my holy discontentment is:

1. People whose lifestyle will never lead them close enough to the church to really catch what Jesus was all about.

2. Denial of honest thought and doubt because of fear.

3. Communion not being real wine, and not a whole bottle each. (kidding)

Thanks for the post Chad.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

1. when i say i follow christ but do the very things he hates.

2. that there is a world of dying, and living young people that havnt even heard of the lifegiver Jesus.

3. that creativity, innovation, and immagination are overshadowed by the lull of mediocrity.

10:22 PM  
Blogger jeremy postal said...

My holy discontent:
(1) too many young adult aged people leaving the church.
(2) too many paid leaders in churches who don't lead well.
(3) not enough place for the uncool and fringe teenagers to go and feel cared for and accepted.
(4) skiiers in snowboard parks!

Go get your rad on.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you Chad:

1) McDonald's - I dont think Jesus would eat there...

2) The Lost

3) People who think they love God but have a crappy representation of Him to a Lost World.

4) A lack of desperation to reach the lost.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man now you made me think. Way to go it isn't easy for people to get me thinking...well that's not really true. I haven't really heard this idea of "holy discontent" before. I will ponder that one for a day or two and get back to you. Hope things are good. It is almost 1pm on tues. I might try you at the church. Later or maybe talk to you in a min. or two.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home